Mike Barish Rotating Header Image

Favorite Road Trip Foods

"road trip" snacks "junk food" "fast food" travelI’m heading down to Charleston, SC later this week on a good ol’ fashioned road trip for a Cruze-arati shoot. It’s been a while since I did a multi-day road trip (I’ll be stopping along the way rather than plowing through to Charleston in one shot). Unlike trips involving flights, my road trip preparation is less about what to pack and more about what to eat. Road trip snacking is essential and one’s choice of foods-on-the-go is as personal as one’s preference in mates.

You could go the chips route (this includes, as far as I’m concerned, potato chips, tortilla chips, pretzels and anything else that is savory, crunchy and bagged with a lot of air). Others prefer candy, cookies or any type of sweets. For some, road trips are the perfect excuse to justify eating fast food (if you think I’m not going to Chick-Fil-A while I’m down south than you don’t know me very well).

I’ll be traveling with an assortment of snacks. Pretzel M&Ms have quickly moved into my “Essentials” category when packing for a road trip. I’m also a fan of trail mix and dried mango, which I’ve mentioned previously when discussing snacking. And, of course, I’ll be enjoying a Chicken Biscuit for breakfast at the aforementioned Chick-Fil-A at some point (and possibly this new Spicy Chicken Biscuit that I’ve been hearing about).

But I want to know what you think. Pick your poison in the poll below. If you don’t see your favorite road trip snack listed, I’d love to hear you shout your preferences proudly in the comments. You might even inspire me to try something new on this upcoming trip.

What is your favorite road trip food?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

14 Comments

1. Most supermarket delis across the US stock ready made hummus in the deli department. I’ve been going for the hummus and baby carrots for some time now — though it’s also good to have an ice chest handy for your leftovers.

1. mike barish says:

So healthy…isn’t that the opposite of what road trips are all about!?

2. Eva says:

Wendy’s spicy chicken sandwich FTW!

1. mike barish says:

OMG – haven’t had that in forever. Used to be obsessed though!

3. Andi says:

I agree with Eva… But all I really need is a bag of beef jerky and a big bottle of water.

1. mike barish says:

Whoa, hadn’t considered jerky…good call!

4. Oh mansy, I voted for candy, because fast food is nasty and chips are SO messy. Then I remembered that the best roadtrip snack EVER is beef jerky! Proteiny, not messy and delicious. It’s awesome. That and haribo gummy bears and you’re set!

5. Derrick says:

katie cant take a trip without combos

6. Erica says:

Twizzler’s Nibs for the getting-there trip, and chocolate-covered pretzels for the return trip.

7. Cowboy Dan says:

Jerky, most definitely Jerky! – Sweet & Spicy, Black Pepper or Original Hickory! I took a 7 week road trip around California in the summer with my family, ate a lot of good jerky – when we got back we were so disappointed in the grocery store brands that I started my own business selling only the best jerky brands, styles & flavors!

8. Sherry says:

I don’t do road snacks but road tracks: You can’t go wrong with Weird Al and Green Day.

9. alisha says:

when I did a mini road trip from Grand Rapids to Chicago, I was stoked to have Sonic for the first time ever. nothing like some fattening fast food to kick off a day of driving! enjoy!

10. Andy says:

I vote for “other” because I’m not sure that Funyuns qualify as chips. Or food, for that matter, but damned if I don’t want them on road trips for some reason. Necco Wafers are a close second.

11. pheromonoes says:

458 [url=http://pheromone101.webs.com/]pheromones nose[/url] uts0zgy4, 1229 pheromones quotes [url=http://usepheromones.webs.com/]pheromones quotes[/url] iqd31veip9yajt, 3017 [url=http://buypheromones.webs.com/]pheromones menstruation[/url].